Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Wood Scrap Heart Hanging

Hey friends!

I have a fun January project for you today.




Pin It!
I found an idea for a wood scrap heart hanging


So I turned it into my 

February Door Decor.






It was also an excuse to get together with family

and do a project.

My Mom and my Aunt joined me!




I cut the 20" x 20" heart shape

from 1/4" and 3/8" plywood,

whatever sizes I had.




Then I laid pieces of lath and fence picket

across the top.




Fence pickets are not as thick as fence board.

They are only 3/8" thick so they will be

lay evenly with the lath board.









I use liquid nails adhesive to keep the boards in place.

Then I hammer in 5/8" nails around perimeter of the heart.

Next, turn the heart over and cut  all of the

boards that extend out beyond heart shape

using the plywood heart as your saw guide.









Brush on a wash of watered down brown paint.

Let it dry.




Use cardstock pieces folded in half

to pull paint colors across wood.











Sand over paint if you want more wood exposed.





You can see we have several different color combinations.

Rachel was even making one long distance

and sending pictures.




On hers, she added d ring hangers and ribbon!




On the back of my heart

I used 2 screws and picture wire.

If you want a little more color depth

you can spray with a clear sealer.




Pin It!












Okay, out to the wood shop you go.

Happy Project,

Deb



Sharing At:






22 comments:

Linda said...

Oh what a heart of a project!
Love it!!

20 North Ora said...

How cute are those!! Love doing projects like that with friends. Makes it so much more special.

Judy

Julie @ followyourheartwoodworking said...

Beautiful as usual, Deb!

Jaime Costiglio said...

Deb what a great project - so simple yet beautiful and perfect for the season. Thanks for sharing.

Robin Johnson said...

I adore this project! Thanks for sharing how you made it . . . I'm off to gather my supplies! yipppee

Twice Nice said...

Fantastic! I think I'm going to gather a group of friends and turn them loose on your project. Very fun! Thanks for sharing!

Deb Hrabik said...

Yay! So glad you girls want to make one too. I knew it,
Deb

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

LOVE this project and had to share on MySalvagedTreasures facebook page this morning. Thanks so much for sharing at our Vintage Inspiration Party.

Debbie said...

I love it!!! Thank you for sharing with us. My birthday is today and I asked for an electric staple gun, a palm sander and a jig saw. :) I can't wait to be able to create some of your projects. Take care!

Unknown said...

all three are lovely! thanks for sharing the tute so i can make my own :) pinned!

Audra @ Renewed Projects said...

What a fun project! Especially when made with loved ones. Adds a sentimental quality to the piece. :)

Alma Boheme said...

Thank you so much for linking my Etsy shop to your post here. So glad out hearts have inspired you to make one and make it your own. Thanks again for sharing and hope you have a great Valentine's Day!

Jan said...


Thanks Deb, I love it! Jan P

Miss Kitty said...

Wow! This is such a great project! Even though I usually don't do wood projects , you make this sound easy and achievable...and of course it is just adorable! How wonderful that your family could join in together and make their own versions. Congratulations for being featured over at Savvy Southern Style blog party.

Pam said...

ADORABLE job. I love them. Thanks for sharing.

Linda Nelson said...

That came out really pretty, and I especially love the way it looks on your front door. All the colors complement each other perfectly.

Mandoss said...

How do you manage to get the edges so perfect?

Deb Hrabik said...

To get a good edge - When you turn your heart over you will see staggered wood over the edges. Just follow the line of your base heart (thin underlayment) with your jigsaw.
Best Wishes on your project!
Deb

Anonymous said...

What saw do you use to cut it? :)

Deb Hrabik said...

I use a hand held jig saw.
Have a great project!

Anonymous said...

What kind of paint did you use?

Deb Hrabik said...

I used craft acrylics. But you could use any leftover wall paint, etc.
Enjoy your project!
Deb