Monday, August 6, 2012

Whimsical Girl's Headboard

Sweet Pea Green
and
Soft Pink
make a cheerful color palette
for this
Little Girl's Headboard.


This will be a happy spot of color
in Abigail's bedroom.

...a much happier bit of color
than the original headboard.



After all of the prep work,
I put a coat of white primer and then semi-gloss white.

I mixed Folkart Citron Green with white for the hill.
Then mixed Santa Red with white for the pink.



Here you can see the first layer of paint
is very basic without any shading.



Adding color to the edges by shading adds a lot of depth.
So choose a darker shade of your base color
for that effect.

The glaze I like to use is a generic "Do it Best" brand.
Really, any kind of clear glaze will work.
Zinsser is thicker.
Some are sticky.
This one is more liquid and dries
without a sticky touch.



For shading,
I dip my brush directly into a puddle of clear glaze,
then I add the base color to one side of my brush
and the darker accent color to the other side.
Now you will get a nice blend when you
run your brush across the surface.





Here you can see all of the shaded edges.



Quite a bit of a change from this...


Using the same method of dipping in glaze
and double loading my brush with two colors
I made the stripes.

Here are some of the colors I used.









I printed off some script lettering
and scratched some pencil lead on the back
to transfer Abigail's name.





Then I added ribbon detail
to the outside edges.
You can see how
I painted the ribbon here.

And evidently I can't speak, paint, and video myself
at the same time.
It's "going to" not "gunna".
I could never do "Design Star" ! lol










Abigail will have such a sweet
little Beddy-Bye.


Hope you're having a great day,
Deb

Oh, and something else...
here are some pictures of
Girl's bedroom furniture
that I painted
in a similar style,
but with a Kona Brown base.





See You soon!




Linking to: 

Monday:         DIY Showoff
                      Between Naps on the Porch
                      I Should be Mopping the Floor
                      Southern Hospitality

Tuesday:        Coastal Charm
                       Home Stories A to Z
                      My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
                      Primitive and Proper

Wednesday:  Savvy Southern Style

Thursday:      Beyond the Picket Fence
                     The 36th Avenue
                      The Shabby Creek Cottage
                     House of Hepworths
                     Delightful Order
                     Embracing Change

Friday:           Redoux Interiors
                      The Shabby Nest
                      At the Picket Fence
                      Miss Mustard Seed

Saturday:     Cheerios and Lattes
                     Funky Junk Interiors

12 comments:

Mel said...

That is just too sweet. Lucky Abigail to have such a fun and whimsical headboard of her very own.

Heidi Lisa said...

Love the cheery color pallet!

Courtney said...

gorgeous Deb!! the shading makes all the difference!!

Ada (new york) said...

Such a pretty transformation!!! Clearly MADE with LOVE!

Bliss said...

You're awesome!

~Bliss~

Rebecca said...

Such a sweet bed!

Cassie Bustamante said...

that is adorable! i love the bird! :) and abigail is a lucky young lady!

Tami Von Zalez said...

Very sweet for a young girl!

Popped in from Wow Us Wednesday.

thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com

Liz said...

Wow, that's so cute!! Great job!

Unknown said...

Wow! Your headboard looks A-mazing.. love all the sweet little details and of course I just adore all the PINK!
xoxo
Amie @ Pinkapotamus

Sara said...

This is absolutely adorable!! Hope you can link this up at my trendy tuesday party! http://www.sweetlittlegals.com

Emily said...

A-MAZE-ING! I love it. I wish you could paint the ideas in my head.