Monday, August 11, 2014

Painting Farmhouse Furniture -Shortcut Spraypaint Black

I had you at "Shortcut", right?

If you're like me and Love the Farmhouse Style,

you know you're in for painting some old spindly chairs.



Pin It!

The chairs only needed a light sanding with 100 grit sandpaper.

The table had much more wear and had to be sanded 

until smooth to the touch.







After wiping off the sawdust

I wiped on a deglosser.










For the table and the chairs

I rubbed a small amount of vaseline on the edges

as a resist.

This will make sanding much easier in the end

and will create a chippy look.





The table needed a primer because I had yellow

coming through the paint.




So I used Lowe's Olympic Paint and Primer in One,

Crumb Cookie.

I had the satin finish on hand,

but you could use semi-gloss.

Because for my third coat, I mixed some

semi-gloss white enamel.

I like the finish.




Of course the fun happens now

after the paint dries.

Sand the edges to reveal the base brown.





I applied an acrylic sealer with a piece of folded foam.


Now, my happy surprise with the chairs:

After the prep (sand, degloss, vaseline)

  hand brushing one coat of

black semi-gloss enamel

left the chairs with the usual streaky first coat look.




Knowing I had 6 to paint,

I tried some inexpensive spray paint from dollar general.

I sprayed a light coat over,

and because this particular spray paint is not heavy

it gave the perfect effect.  

I could leave areas exposed on the seats where I wanted

the black brown distressed look to show.

But I could get into all of the spindles with ease

so it made the process So much faster!

Plus I love the look it gives.




Pin It!
I spray sealed the chairs.




Chippy Farmhouse Style,

just what Megan wanted to 

make her apartment a "home".







Pin It!

I hope you can use this shortcut sometime!

Deb


Sharing At:

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I love farmhouse Windsor chairs and yours turned out so nicely. I have used white spray paint with primer on some that I used on our patio a few summers ago but the backyard gets lots of sun with no protection from the elements. The paint peeled due to the weather/sun/rain but for indoors or covered areas this looks like a great time saving tip. Thanks so much for sharing. I'm pinning.

Feral Turtle said...

Love the chairs and of course the table is awesome. Great project!

Unknown said...

I say we use what we have on hand or what gives us the desired effect. Right?
Looks great.

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Beautiful! Love the table and the chairs!

SewSweetVIntage said...

I <3 your refinish! Pinned

Adorned From Above said...

Thanks so much for sharing with Wednesday's Adorned From Above Link Party.
Debi @ Adorned From Above

Shelly said...

Looks gorgeous!! And what a great job on your tutorial! Thanks for sharing this on DIY Sunday Showcase! I pinned this to our favorites board!

Shelly@MinettesMaze

Amber Freshour said...

Just wondering how these have held up over the years? I just bought some chairs and am wanting to paint them. Trying to decide whether to do chalk paint by hand or spray paint. I have 3 small kids so durability is the key ;)

Deb Hrabik said...

Hi Amber!
Gosh, I just now see this comment that I didn't reply too. So sorry it took so long.
Yes! My farmhouse table that I painted about 6 years ago has held up so well. I do reapply a polyurethane on my stained top once a year.
For the white painted top, I have had to touch up in places occasionally and can reseal with an acrylic based sealer.
If you have any other questions, feel free to email me at debhrabikdesigns@gmail.com so I don't miss you!
Thanks again,
Deb