Thursday, May 10, 2012

Make a Beach Sign


Hi Friends!
Get your paint brushes out.
Here's a fun project for you.

Two of my favorite things:  Summer and Signs.
Loving both right now,
so it's a perfect time
to share this paint tutorial.

Start with a piece of 3/8" plywood 10" x 40".
I used my jigsaw to carve the edges
(holding it at an angle)
You can see how I did that here.




Cut the beadboard panel approximately 8" X 38".
Sand.
Put a primer on the beadboard.



Here are the paint colors I used.
I just kept brushing multiple colors on the wood.
I used a little clear glaze to extend the paint.





Next, pick out a font and trace onto paper.
Pencil on both sides of the tracing paper
so that when you press down from the front
the lead transfers onto your board.



You can see the pencil transfer here:



Paint lettering in with a small flat brush.
Then use a liner brush to add a drop shadow
on the right and bottom edges of the letters.

After the paint dries, sand over everything
to get that distressed rustic beachy look.



Paint the edges of the carved wood backing white.



Paint the side edges with a raw sienna.



Attach beadboard to plywood with 1/2" sheetmetal screws.



Splatter Raw Sienna.



Finish the back in black.
Tie wire around 2 screws for hanging.

I also sprayed an outdoor sealer on
in case I put it outside.



Now for the most fun,
deciding where to hang it!







Pin It!
 
 
 
Now your family and guests know it's official...
an invitation to be casual
and dream of those beach days.

I hope you try it
and it brings smiles in your home, Deb



 Linking to :  Funky Junk Interiors
                    Home Stories A 2 Z
                    Coastal Charm
                    Savvy Southern Style
                    House of Hepworths

10 comments:

Beth@Makemeprettyagain.com said...

Love it!! Nice job and very creative.

Sherry said...

Thanks so much for the tutorial, I like how your sign turned out. I'm now your newest follower!

Deb Hrabik said...

Great Sherry!
I hope you try it,
Deb

Maya @ Completely Coastal said...

Love the sign!! I have yet to make one... but love them and collect them on my blog and FB.

Deb Hrabik said...

Thanks Maya! What a dose of great coastal inspiration on your page. Nice to meet you! Deb

All Things Chic 2 said...

What a "perfect" job...
Love it...
Your newest follower, come over for a visit sometime...
Blessings Lori

Deb Hrabik said...

Thank you, Lori. I hope you can find lots of ideas here to use in your home. I will definitely visit your blog, Deb

Jamie said...

It looks fabulous!

Amy said...

This came out great! I love signs too. :)

Anonymous said...

Nice job! Nothing is better than a beach theme! :)