Thursday, March 20, 2014

Old Chairs Spring to Life with Birdwatcher Fabric

I thought I would celebrate

the first day of Spring

with a fun old chair transformation

using Birdwatcher Fabric!




Pin It!

This was such a fun makeover

because I had a cottage vision 

for these old chairs.



Pin It!
What a new do they get

when I deconstruct the top

and replace the stuffing with lath board across.



My Dad gave me this old treasure box

of linoleum nails that worked perfect

along with the wood glue.








Now for the inspiration piece that started 

the whole vision...

this Richloom Birdwatcher Fabric

that  Kristen used on her chair makeover.

I purchased it online at The Fabric Finder.



This is my paint palette.




Here are some different color combinations 

that I double loaded and painted on lath.

Gray and white...




Raw Sienna, White, and Dark Brown




Light Tan and Dark Brown




White and Light Brown




Dry Brush White over all boards.




The body of the chair

is painted with a dark brown wall paint

and dark gray.

Dry brush dark gray for the last coat.




So now it has a cottage style back

with lath lined up like a picket fence.

Dry brushing and mixing colors 

give it a barnwood look.



I decided to add a rustic pillow option

for the comfort factor.

But they can be use either way.


I cut up a coffee bean bag.




Made stencils.




Made ties out of the birdwatcher fabric.




Adding some pillow charm.








Kitto and I were enjoying the sunshine

this first day of Spring.







Pin It!

Hope you're enjoying sunshine where you are!

Deb



Sharing At:









Pin It!





20 comments:

Twice Nice said...

Oh Deb, those are gorgeous! I love the lath board backs. That is a such a creative idea! I just ordered that fabric in a different color way for some kitchen valances. Love those birds!

Vetsy said...

Love It! I'm so glad that crafty folks like you are also on Hometalk.. other wise I would not have notice your nice handy work.

I too am a Blogger from blogspot but I have not had the time to post here as much as i did in the past.

Billie said...

Love, love the chairs and fabric is wonderful!

Unknown said...

Your painting style is so unique and artistic! I Love it ! Great transformation!

Feral Turtle said...

I can't believe they are the same chairs!. Genius with the lathe boards and that fabric is gorgeous. Good job Deb!

SmithShack71 said...

Cutey cute!

Have a great weekend, Deb :)

-Angie

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a gorgeous look!

Gigi @ Old World Patina

Dee said...

So Creative Deb, I love how you used that beautiful fabric for your inspiration. Beautiful work, Dee from My Painted Stuff.

Rhonda said...

I read a lot of blogs and it is rare that I am moved to comment at 3AM in the morning. I love what you did with these chairs. One of the best transformations I have seen in quite awhile.

Krista Aasen said...

These are SO stunning Deb!! I can't believe what an amazing vision you had for these chairs!!

Jessica | Petal + Ply said...

Love these!! The fabric the lathe slats, the cushions!! So cute!

Unknown said...

Dang, those are too darling! Love how you de-constructed the chairs and remade them with just the right touches!

Anonymous said...

I love these chairs. Beautiful!
Kelly

Danielle said...

adorable!

Katie @ Creatively Living said...

I love these! Adding you as my personal fave this week at the Monday Funday party

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

These chairs are little spring works of art! I adore the colors and the creative back of your bird chair! WOW!

Leslie Anne Tarabella said...

So much vision and talent in one person isn't fair.

Debra@CommonGround said...

love love love them, the stenciled pillow adds an extra bit of fun!

reFresh reStyle said...

Gorgeous! Love the fabric and the addition of wood! You can send them to me when you get tired of them :)
Debbie

Redo It Yourself Inspirations said...

Hi Deb!

You've been caught having a fabulous furniture makeover! I featured your beautiful chairs at this week's Friday Five. It's posted today.

Stunning work! I'm so excited to share it.

Have a wonderful weekend!
Robin @ Redo It Yourself Inspirations