Sunday, May 20, 2012

Cabinet Before and After

Here's a good update
on an old Entertainment Center
turned young and fresh!

I am glad to finally share this with you.
It has been in our garage for about 2 years.
It was one of those pieces that we couldn't use anymore
because it didn't work with our new tvs.


But I couldn't part with them
because I knew they had a hope and a future!

Oh yeah they did...


 
 
 
Pin It!

Well, I actually think my high school sweetheart
was tired of seeing all of the furniture
stacking up in the garage....



I think the Cat was even getting annoyed.

So  I   hubs  had to get down to business



Prepping, Priming, and Painting.

We used oil based Zinsser Primer
and White Semi-Gloss Paint.

Not only did we remove the glass door fronts
but also took off the old laminate back
and replaced with beadboard.
We painted the beadboard...
one in gray...
one in aqua...



Next I painted the sides of the cabinet.

For the gray cabinet
I used a double load of gray and white
and brushed on in an up and down motion.



For the aqua cabinet
I used a mix of gray, aqua, and white





I know I'm "getting beachy" again
with this color palette...
It just keeps coming out.
So here goes some more nautical goodness.
Sisal Rope.
I'll use that for the handles.

Making double knots about 4" apart



Pull through the drilled holes and tie off
on the back side.



That looks so good
with all of the beachy texture.



The seagrass baskets will add even more.
But I don't want to cover all of the great beadboard color
so maybe I'll just add one.
Decisions.
















 
Pin It!
 

That's a fresh clean look!

These will be for sale at my art sale
next Memorial Day weekend at Lake Waconda.

Hope this inspires you to freshen up
an old piece that you're not using!

See you soon, Deb

Linking to:  DIY Showoff
                  Sumos Sweet Stuff
                  Craftomaniac
                  I Should be Mopping the Floor
                  Ask Anna
                  You are Talking too Much
                  Skip to my Lou
                  C.R.A.F.T
                  Boogieboard Cottage
                  Between Naps on the Porch
                  Thrifty Handmade Days

Tuesday:   Coastal Charm
                 Primitive and Proper
                 Home Stories A to Z
                 My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia

Wednesday:  Savvy Southern Style

Thursday:  Beyond the Picket Fence
                 The Shabby Creek Cottage
                 House of Hepworths
                 Pincushion Creations
                 Delightful Order
                 The 36th Avenue
                 A Glimpse Inside

Friday:  Redoux Interiors
             At the Picket Fence
             The Shabby Nest

29 comments:

kristi@ishouldbemoppingthefloor said...

Absolutely stunning pieces. Hard to believe where they started! Would be so delighted if you could link up with us at Mop It Up Mondays: http://www.ishouldbemoppingthefloor.com/2012/05/mop-it-up-mondays-17.html

Thanks so much!
{HUGS},
kristi

Courtney said...

Gorgeous Deb!! Fantastic work as usual!!

Make it Create by Lilly Ashley said...

An amazing transformation, I love how it came out! Featuring this as Wednesday's crafy find 5/23 at 2pm EST at The Latest Find! Hope you have a great week!!
www.TheLatestFind.com

the cape on the corner said...

that looks great-getting beachy seems to work for you! those drawer pulls make it!

The Checkered Apple said...

You really woke those cabinets up! Great transformation Deb!

Deb Hrabik said...

Paint is such a practical solution..making old new again.
From a piece I would have thrown away to one I would buy. Love Paint!
Thanks for stopping by, Deb

Stacey Stuwe said...

Oh my goodness Deb, great job!! I love them!

Unknown said...

The best of everything! Love the white and rope combo, your latest follower, Tanya :)

http://twelveoeight.blogspot.com/

Crafts a la Mode said...

These came out great! My daughter is into beach decorating, too. I love the white look. Beautiful. Best wishes, Linda

Michelle @ Delicate Construction said...

IT LOOKS AMAZING!!! Like night and day!Thanks for sharing and I am a new follower!
Hope you have a great week!
Michelle
www.delicateconstruction.com

Deb Hrabik said...

Thanks Michelle! I hope you can get lots of good ideas here. It looks like you have wonderful kids crafts and educational ideas yourself! Great Job, Deb

Cassie Bustamante said...

those are awesome! i love the blue backing and love the rope handles!

Small Holdings Farm said...

Well, I have to say they came out fabulous!...What a vision. I love anything salvaged, repurposed, transformed...you did a great job! I am your newest follower and would love it if you would follow me back. Sherron

Becca Bertotti said...

These are incredible !! What a transformation !! I love the coastal look you gave them ... with the knotted handles being a perfect touch !! *Becca* (new follower by way of Savvy Southern Style)

www.adventuresindecorating1.blogspot.com

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

Hi Deb,

You did a fantastic redo. I love your new beachy cabinets.

Dee

Katie @ Made to be a Momma. said...

This is a FABULOUS REDO! Love the rope handles! I would LOVE to have you share this at my link party! I am your newest GFC follower...would love to have you check out my place too!

http://www.pincushioncreations.com/2012/05/homemade-by-you-13-giveaway.html

Deb Hrabik said...

Hi Katie!
Great, I will link up. Plus I love to sew (when I have time) so I'll check out your site for ideas.
Deb

Jessica said...

Wow! These are beautiful pieces! I love white furniture and baskets. The rope door handle is the perfect finishing detail!

Pam said...

What a fantastic make over. They look great.

Dee said...

I love it! I have pinned it for inspiration... and to show my hubby how wonderfully helpful hubbies can be ;) (nah he'll never get the hint lol).

Dee said...

sorry, I meant to ask if the cabinets are the coated MDF kind that is common now? how do you prep to paint over the laminate?
ps I am you newest follower.
I am looking forward to seeing how your sale goes.

Zuni, Chickadee Home Nest said...

WOW! They are BOTH awesome! How are you going to use them--or will you be selling them? Great idea to replace the backing with beadboard. Did you just buy a piece of "paneling" for it? Look great! ~Zuni

Deb Hrabik said...

Yes, I am very thankful for my husband's help! (really..I think he gets tired of all of my pieces in the garage.
The MDF was typical of what you find today. I used oil based zinsser primer .
I buy 4'x 8' sheets of panel at Menards because I use it for a lot of signs. That's what I used for the back.
I hope to sell them this weekend.

House Crazy in Michigan! said...

Those old TV cabinet makeover is totally fabulous - great job! I can just see one of te new ones in a bathroom holding towels.
You have "the vision."

Small House / Big Sky Donna
http://smallhouseunderabigsky.wordpress.com

Heather @ The JUNKtion said...

These cabinets turned out amazing...such a transformation. I'm now your newest follower!

Deb Hrabik said...

Thanks Heather. I appreciate your feedback! I'll be stopping by your site next, Deb

MacGIRLver said...

These look great, you did an awesome job!

carol jane said...

I love the cabinets1 I have a larger similar cabinet in my garage that is pine and dirty and has tools in it right now. You have inspired me to get going making it pretty again. Mine has a glass front and sides that I want to remove too. Did yours have glass shelves inside? Mine do. How do I get white shelves like you used? Did you have them cut to size?

Deb Hrabik said...

Mine didn't have glass shelves, but if you cut wood strips and mount them on each side,that is where a new wood shelf can sit.It makes a great transformation,
Deb