Thursday, May 31, 2012

Black Medallion Chair

Hope you're all having a great day
and looking forward
to another paint project!

My blog header used to say "Craft journal, Art inspirations"
Well, that wasn't happening
so, duh, I changed it to "Painted Furniture and Happy Art"
There.
Now that IS what's happening!
So funny.
It's a journey I guess.


Today, meet Simple Summer Sophisticate.



I say Summer because I used an outdoor furniture fabric
even though this piece would be used inside.
I liked the bold traditional graphic
and medallions.
Because the seat is full of pattern
I decided to use a simple medallion tattoo on the back.

But, of course,
in the beginning
she looked like this:



Not too bad, really.
I bought her at a thrift store for $10.
I had to sturdy her up with some nails and glue.



Her leg needed repair
and I had to cut a new seat.



After sanding, I painted
with a semi-gloss black.
I didn't use a primer this time
because it didn't matter if some brown
would show through.

I wanted to try something different this time.
Usually you find me painting a lighter color
with a darker shade for the edges.
So I wanted to reverse that.
I sanded the edges
and then brushed on a light gray paint
with a little glaze
and then wiped off if it was too heavy.





Then for the medallion
I started with a tiny liner brush
to make the center dot and petals.



using the back end of the brush for the dots.



Use a small flat brush double loaded
(cream on one side of the brush and black on the other)
Make an upside down U motion
closing the petal at the bottom.



Finish up with some dots around the outside
and your medallion tattoo
is good to go.

Moving on to her puffed up seat....

I like my chairs comfy and cushy.

Look at the differnce
in their "sit upons":



Just Sayin'


Here's another one of my sweet girls
with her cute little puffed up seat:



You can find out more about her here.

So, to get that look,
we'll use 3 layers of mattress foam
plus 2 layers of batting.
You can cut 2 foam pieces the same size as the wood seat.
Then you can cut one foam piece
a bit smaller so the seat raises in the center.



Tuck this smaller piece in between the others.



Staple on back of board
as shown here.

After attaching the seat with screws
on the bottom she
is ready for show.









So, though I have typically
painted in a lighter color with a darker edge,
this time I changed it up.

Here is a comparison of the two techniques.



Worn and Comfy.

You can see more on the white chair here.


This Little Lady's Style might be more refined
but she still has a little farmhouse in her
with the shabby edge detail.



You're already thinking
of something you can try this on!
That's my DIY friend!

I always appreciate your visits and comments,  Deb
See you soon.





Link Parties!  Friday at:    Redoux Interiors
                                        At the Picket Fence
                                        Miss Mustard Seed
                                         The Shabby Nest

                     Saturday:   Funky Junk Interiors
                                   
                     Sunday:      DiY Showoff
                                        Craftomaniac

                    Monday:      Coastal Charm
                                        Sumos Sweet Stuff
                                       Between Naps on the Porch
                                       Boogie Board Cottage

                   Tuesday:      Home Stories A to Z
                                       Primitive and Proper
                                       My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia

                  Wednesday:  Savvy Southern Style

                  Thursday:    Beyond the Picket Fence
                                     The Shabby Creek Cottage
                                     House of Hepworths
                                     Delightful Order
                                     The 36th Avenue
                                     A Glimpse Inside
                                     

18 comments:

The Checkered Apple said...

What a great looking chair Deb! I like that you incorporated the medallion on the back. Black and white are always classy together!And your tutorial about the chair padding was very helpful. Oh, and the white chair was cute too!

reFresh reStyle said...

Stop it with that awesome hand painted stuff! And that nice round seat! You are good! Love it!

Courtney said...

So gorgeous as usual Deb!!! Love the foam tip to, I haven't seen that before. so cool of you to share your knowledge!!
Thanks Deb!

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

Oh my goodness these chairs turned out so beautifully! You have done such an awesome job!

K Soucy said...

I love how this turned out. Wow!

Ann @ Corner of Plaid and Paisley said...

Beautiful!!I love the hand painted touches. Thanks for sharing your talents. Both chairs look like a million bucks by the time you were finshed with them!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Love the hand painted touch...very pretty. Hop over and grab my featured button (it's under my header, yes you have been featured at NTT.

Blessings,
Linda

Deb Hrabik said...

Hi Linda!
That's great news!
Much appreciation,Deb

Merlin said...

WOW! Your chair looks fantastic! That handpainted stencil "sealed the deal!!" franki

Cassie Bustamante said...

so cute and much better with its puffier new seat! much more comfy!

Scribbler said...

I have an actual chair fetish, I think, so naturally, I zoomed in on this! Fantastic little piece!

Unknown said...

Beautiful redo, a cute chair with potential is hard to pass up. Looks great!

Tanya :)

karen@somewhatquirky said...

Your chair caught my eye at Shabby Creek Cottage. Then I figured out why (aside from the fact that it's pretty dang cute) - I just bought this fabric to recover some chairs for my back porch! I love it!

Deb Hrabik said...

I think the fabric is classic but bold. Now you'll have to get busy on your back porch. I know...too many other projects!

Thanks girls, for all of the encouraging comments!!

Beth@Makemeprettyagain.com said...

I Am totally loving that chair! I'm into black and white at the moment and think the fabric is fab. Thanks for the how to!

Unknown said...

WOW! :) (Enough said):)
- Abbey Lenz

Deb Hrabik said...

Thanks Abbey!

Kammy's Korner said...

Fabulous! Pinning. :) Oh, and I totally need to "puff up" my seats when I makeover chairs in the future... thanks for the tip!