Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Painting Windmill Art

Every time I drive this road

I see a windmill

stand like an iconic country silhouette

 against the sky.





And every time, I think

"I want to paint that".

So my country roots got the best of me.



 
My wood square measures about 25".

I used cardstock to dip in my paint colors

and drag across the board,

creating a textural and layered background.




Then I transferred my pattern onto the board.




I used aluminum paint and white for my windmill base.

Then I shaded with aluminum and black.




I love the effect of the aluminum shimmer.





I like the art both ways -

with the white frame and without.











I will list these in my Etsy shop soon.

Thanks for stopping by!

Deb


Links:





7 comments:

Julie @ followyourheartwoodworking said...

Just beautiful, Deb. The choice of colours and the texture you achieve is great.

Artsy VaVa said...

Gorgeous as always. I'm a big fan of your work!

Lisa@Pickles and Cheese said...

Love how you did this! Love the color and texture too.

Unknown said...

Hi Deb. I subscribed to your blog today and am very interested in trying your Windmill painting. I have never run across the color "aluminum" in my painting projects. Would you be so kind as to let me know what brand of acrylic paints you used for the aluminum color? I have used in the past DecoArt's metallic silver, but I really like how your painting turned out. If you have a moment, would you contact me at dandelynne13@gmail.com with any information you can share. Thanks much. Lynne

Deb Hrabik said...

Hi Lynne!
So glad you are going to try the windmill project!
The aluminum paint has such great effects. I use the can from the hardware store. It is oil based so will be clean up with paint thinner or mineral spirits. I know, it's unusual to use oil based and water based paints together, but I do it all of the time with stain and paint too. Fun results.
This is my local hardware store brand, but I'm sure any place like Lowes will have it. You can also get it in a smaller can.
Rust Coat Enamel Aluminum
Best wishes,
Deb

Anonymous said...

I do not have a creative bone in my body but have a lot of respect for this that do. I desperately need your windmill painting to complete my bedroom decor. May I purchase it?

Deb Hrabik said...

Thanks for your note!
Right now I don't have one available. I am not building and painting to sell at this time. I will be glad to let you know if that changes. Thank you so much for your interest in my work. If you email me at debhrabikdesigns@gmail.com, then I can have your email to be in touch should I be able to paint one.
Thanks again!
Deb