Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Sand and Shells Dresser

Hey to all of my
Lake Lovin'
Coast Lovin'
Beach Lovin'
Friends!

I have a fun furniture transformation to share.

Here's a sneak peak:


My niece inherited a dresser from Aunt Lucille.
Auntie's style went something like this:



That's not Kate's style.
Kate is a modern beachy girl.
She is looking for
"Some Beach"
"Somewhere".

So here's her plan.
"Give me something sand and white with a little bit of shabby,
and I will hunt down the drawer pulls."


So my mission started with a good sanding,
and primer and a little bit of wood filler repair.
You know my thing about old dressers and their drawers...
I like to freshen them up.
So I took out the old liner paper,
sanded the insides of the drawers,
wiped it down ,
and then sprayed the interiors with a clear spray.
That will help rid of anything musty.

I painted the shell of the dresser semi-gloss white.


and then sanded the edges for
a worn look.



The drawer fronts stay the original wood
because they are going to get a dip and drag paint treatment.



You can find out more about this paint technique
at one of my other tutorials here.

Using a piece of folded cardstock, dip into multiple paint colors
and drag across surface.
Refrain from covering entire surface
so that it has a really textural appearance.
The tan, gray and white mix
will be the grainy beach sand look I'm going for.



Then to top it off,
Kate found the perfect knob...
a clear glass swirl
that looks like a shell!

Sand and Shells...
found in textured paint and swirled glass
create just the look we're going for.
And really, the solid white surround
anchors the piece and gives it a really restful feel.

















This dresser is going in baby's beach nursery,
but really it would be great in any room
adding a bit of coastal charm.

Thanks for your visit!
See you soon,  Deb



Link Parties:       


Thursday:         Beyond the Picket Fence
                         The Shabby Creek Cottage
                         House of Hepworths
                         The 36th Avenue
                         Delightful Order
                         Embracing Change

Friday:              Miss Mustard Seed
                         Redoux Interiors
                         At the Picket Fence

Saturday:         Funky Junk Interiors

Monday:           DIY Showoff
                        Sumos Sweet Stuff
                        Between naps on the Porch
                        I should be mopping the floor
                        Craftomaniac
                        The Dedicated House

Tuesday:          Coastal Charm
                        Home Stories A to Z
                        My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
                        Primitive and Proper

Wednesday:    Savvy Southern Style


Thrifty Decor Chick    

41 comments:

Unknown said...

IT LOOKS BEAUTIFUL, AND YOU GAVE IT THE PERFECT NAME! great techinique
lauren

Deb Hrabik said...

Thanks, Lauren!
I appreciate your visit, Deb

Courtney said...

I love that technique!! It makes the dresser look deliciously old! Great work as always Deb :)

Courtney said...

I love that technique!! It makes the dresser look deliciously old! Great work as always Deb :)

Elise Engh said...

This is so unique and beautiful! I need to learn how to refinish furniture like that! I've been checking out your other posts and you have some really great stuff. Keep up the good work!

Heidi Lisa said...

L-O-V-E it! This might be an idea for my hallway built in... What do you think?

http://neverrush.blogspot.com/search/label/built%20in

The Checkered Apple said...

How lucky is Kate to have one of your wonderful beachy pieces of furniture? Great job Deb!

Stacey said...

I adore this sweet Beachy dresser! Fabulous makeover!
Would love if yOu stopped by my linky party to link it up!
Stacey of Embracing Change
Http://staceyembracingchange.blogspot.com

Sand and Shells said...

Wow... I love your style, Deb! ...and everything beachy ;-) Lucky Kate!

Deb Hrabik said...

Now that's appropriate for sure that you might connect to this post. Great Name!
Thanks for your kind comment, Deb

Sarah @ Imperfect Patina said...

This turned out beautiful!! What a fun paint technique! I will definitely have to try it out! Following along now!!

Deb Hrabik said...

Thanks, Sarah.
I hope you give it a try, Deb
Thanks for your visit and comment.

Misti @ Living On Cypress Hill said...

This is so cool! I love the colors! I'm going to go back and read your tutorial on this method!

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

It turned out so beautiful! Lovely job! Visiting from Coastal Charm. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2012/06/make-it-pretty-monday-week-3.html Wishing you a grand evening. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

Bliss said...

Do you know I love everything you make?

~Bliss~

Deb Hrabik said...

Now that comment will keep me going for a long time! Needed that. Thanks, Deb

Cassie Bustamante said...

i love this beachy look! going to pin this technique!

Deb Hrabik said...

Thank you Cassie!
Much appreciation, Deb

Stacey@Rendition Road said...

As always, perfection! You truly do such beautiful work. I'm inspired every time I come for a visit. I love the way you take the time to give such detailed picture tutorials of your projects. I know how much extra time it can take to add all those little extras to make sure someone else could duplicate the look & it's part of what makes your blog so wonderful. Visiting tonight from POWW and following so I don't miss a thing!

Deb Hrabik said...

Thank you, Stacey Anne, for being specific in your comment. Very helpful to me, Deb

CJ said...

I just love what you have done the colours on the drawer fronts are amazing, and the knobs are perfect, pinning this one! CJ

Val Làô said...

Very beautiful! This technique is fantastic!

Val Làô said...

Very beautiful! This technique is fantastic!

Good Time Charlie said...

I am so in love!! Thank you for sharing a new technique too. Featuring at my party today, starts at 2, EST!

Deb Hrabik said...

Oh, that's great news.
I always appreciate your link parties!
Deb

Lori @ Projects Plenty said...

Nice piece! Love your technique. I have done a similar technique only I used a trowel. Thanks for sharing.

Lori

Kelly @ The Painter Chicks said...

I'm seriously going to try this soon. I love it!

kristi@ishouldbemoppingthefloor said...

Deb, it's absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!! I am loving that cool card technique. Very fun. Love the hardware, too!!
{HUGS},
kristi

Deb Hrabik said...

Thanks, Kristi.
I appreciate your party link!
Deb

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

That looks great and very unique.

Deb Hrabik said...

Thank you, Kim.
I appreciate your link party!
So nice to meet you,
Deb

Valerene Matthews, Malaysia said...

This is g.o.r.g.e.o.u.s. with a capital G. Oh - I mean, this is G.o.r.g.e.o.u.s! :)

ANNE said...

W O W ! ! So gorgeous. I am in love with it!!

Hollie @ I'm Busy Procrastinating said...

Found this project over at Savvy Southern Style. Interesting technique you used on the drawers. I'll have to check out your tutorial on that. And great tip about spraying the drawers with a clear spray. I've never thought about that before as a simple solution to smoothing out old drawers and keeping out old smells. I'll have to try it myself!

Unknown said...

Im doing a special feature on dressers and i would love to include your dresser, if this would be ok with you please let me know,
lauren

Deb Hrabik said...

Great! Thanks Lauren.

Wild Oak Designs said...

I am sure auntie would love it!! cool effect and those knobs are perfect! Love it.
Nancy
http://wildoakdesigns.blogspot.com

Vintage Street Designs said...

Just Beautiful!!! Found you at Wow Us Wednesday. I just re-finished an old dresser also. So much fun! I'm now a follower & would love to have you stop by for a visit! Blessings ~ Judy

Town and Country Gals said...

Deb,
Kate is a lucky girl to have a Aunt who can take the plain to amazing! It looks wonderful, am going to have to give it a try! It definetly looks beachy, the colors are perfect. I'm your newest follower and would love for you to visit me!
Rebecca

Terri said...

Love the shell drawer pulls, our master bedroom is in all beachy and blue, very cooling and fresh!

Deb Hrabik said...

I really appreciate the encouragement girls! I have been so busy with the 4th celebration and family I haven't made it to my blog as much.
Have a great week!
Deb