Saturday, July 15, 2017

Geometric Beach Blue Medallion Wall Art

Layers of paint,

line repetition, 

and 

grunge texture

come together

on this beach blue medallion.









It would make fun wall art for any room in your home.

Here are the details:

I am using a 24" square of plywood.

Base paint with brown,

then while still wet add a mix of white, grey, and camel.





Let dry.

Cover with random brush strokes

of aqua and camel.

I also mixed a darker blue with some black  to get a grey hue

then added some white.

Lots of white.

So I dip half of my brush in white and half in blue

and keep applying in random

crisscross action.










Let dry.

Mark the center of the board.

Use a round template (bowl) as a guide for circle placement.

Measure in from 4 sides to make sure they are equal.

My bowl was about 12 or 13" diameter.

I used  the end of a marker to dip and paint my dots.









Your center should be marked with pencil.

Use a yardstick as a guide.

Fold a 2.5" square of cardstock in half.

Dip folded edge into white paint.

Drag along edge of yardstick to make center cross lines.



Cut a strip of cardstock 1/2" wide and about 5" long.

Use this as a guide for arrow like lines inside circle.

Use a small piece of folded cardstock 

to drag along guide making lines.




Now measure out from the center

and make pencil marks for a circle.

Pull your folded cardstock around on it's side

to make a rough textured line.






Further out from center,

mark another line 

and make the same kind of circle.

Then create connecting lines in between.


Make a triangle stamp.

You could cut a sponge or use a potato.

I used cardstock.






Dip in paint

and place around edge of circle.




Using yardstick, extend the arrow lines to outside corners.










You could leave just like this,

or you can sand for a more worn look.







After I sanded, I wiped the surface with

Early American stain.  

Then I wiped off with paint thinner.

You can skip the stain step if you want it lighter.

I used a brown black paint to rub the edges.












I love the geometric look

of a large tribal stamp.

This would be fun to do in a series of 3.

Use a variety of earthy geometrics and colors.

Maybe add a mint or sage and a sandy tan.

So many ideas!

Hope you try it!

Deb

 























4 comments:

Kimberly H said...

This is gorgeous! It's such a beautifully creative idea. Thanks so much for sharing. I cannot wait to try it! Love your blog!

Deb Hrabik said...

Thanks so much Kimberly!
Made my day!
Deb

Jan said...

Hi Deb,

It has been a while since I checked my blogs. I love,love,love this one.
The blue is just perfect.
This one is a keeper. Thanks so much!

Jan P

Deb Hrabik said...

Thanks Jan!
So glad to hear you might try it,
Deb