Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Paint A Sign for your Dining Room

As Fall approaches,

I think about family dinners,

getting together, and giving thanks.

This DIY Sign will be a great addition 

for your dining room.




Pin It!
Painted with gray and white stripes

and arrow details,

"Gather, Give Thanks, and Feast"

could really be for anytime of year.







Pin It!
The sign dimension is 21" x 27".

Using fenceboards,

old or new,




here is how they are attached on back.




Now for a watered down brown paint wash.




Then alternate gray and white stripes

using a light application so that you leave

some of the under color showing through.




I used "River Stone" Minwax acrylic stain for the gray.

I did add just a slight bit of brown to it.


I also mixed a bit of black with the gray for another grunge layer.

That was just a light application to darken some of the edges.





On the back side of my pattern,

I used pencil transfer - easier to read on the white stripes,

and a chalk transfer - easier to read on the gray stripes.






I also used the River Stone acrylic stain for the lettering.









Cheryl was painting with me today

and made a sign of her own

with the white and gray stripes.




I know you are thinking already

about what sentiment you want on your sign!

Here is a template for the 

"Gather, Give Thanks, and Feast"






Pin It!
This is such a fun time of year

decorating our homes for fall.

I can't wait to hammer a nail in one of my new walls!

Coming soon...

cabinets and trim are going in now.




I had to go to my daughter's house

to find a wall to photograph my sign today!

Thanks for stopping by!

Deb


Sharing At:








18 comments:

mzzbev said...

WOW! I. LOVE. IT!! What a great idea, I have pinned it! :) -Bev

Laura Everyday Edits said...

Hi Deb
The sign looks great! Would love for you to share on Friday Favorites this week- party goes live Thursday night! Can't wait to see the kitchen! laura

Gina Kleinworth said...

When I saw this I knew it had to be your work - I love it!!! As always - you inspire me.

SewSweetVIntage said...

Love your sign love your design:) Pinned

Anonymous said...

Oh Deb! ... I'm good until I get to painting on the lettering! Ugh! I just don't have a steady hand... :(

I can't wait to see how your house turns out!
Smiles!
Terry

Deb Hrabik said...

Terry - you always have a paintbrush in your hand it seems! You could always use a straight edge ruler and drag a liner brush along side.
Have a great weekend,
Deb

Erin said...

The sign looks amazing! Love it!

Chic California said...

This sign looks so great! I love that it could be a year round sign, not just holiday. Thanks so much for sharing with the Be. YOU tiful link party. Pinning!

Kathy said...

This is a fantastic sign! Love it! I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
Kathy

~Damita's Pretty Wrap~ said...

Love love your sign!! It looks so perfect for this time of year too!! :) Have a lovely day! xo Holly

Rasmussen Family said...

love this! I would put pallet art in all the rooms! I'd love you to share it at our Outside {the Box} link party! http://www.carissamiss.com/2014/09/outside-box-link-party-no-2.html

Corinna | For My Love Of said...

Beautiful job with the finish! The sign is gorgeous, something I would expect to buy- not make.

Leslie Anne Tarabella said...

You are right, the holiday season will be here before we know it. This is a great project to get busy working on!

Katie @ Little House of Four said...

I love this sign that you created! Thanks so much for sharing at Your Designs This Time! I've pinned your project to our Favorites and Features group board on Pinterest! Have a great weekend!

Twice Nice said...

I am definitely doing a sign like this for my home! Love it Deb!

Betsy @ Happily Ever After, Etc. said...

I absolutely love the warm patina on this piece. Absolutely gorgeous.... and such a great message! I love this post so much I am pinning it, sharing it on facebook and recently included it in a round-up! http://happilyeverafteretc.com/2015/10/12/10-neutral-fall-decorating-ideas/

Doxie C said...

I've seen this popular sign on Etsy & Pinterest, and now I know where the original design came from!! No wonder it's a best seller!! Your sign is beautiful!! I appreciate the tutorial, because I want to make one for my husband for our anniversary!

Deb Hrabik said...

Fun to hear Doxie. Enjoy your project!
Deb