Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Chalkboard Photo Frames Painted on Side Table

Here's another great place

to display photos in your home!


Pin It!







I had a side table with a glass top

so I gave it a chalkboard look with paint.


I painted the body with white chalk paint 

and sanded the edges.


Pin It!




Then I wiped on clear wax

followed by black wax on the edges.




For the top,

I base painted black.

Then after loading my brush with clear glaze,

I dip half of the brush in white and half in black

and apply in a figure 8 motion.






Chalk your pattern onto table

using a damp paper towel to make corrections.




Now I have the pattern laid out.





Spray with a clear sealer.

The chalk lines will fade but still be visible.

 Using a liner brush with white paint,

lightly brush over lines so you can still see 

fuzzy irregular chalk pattern.




On the circle chalk design,

use your finger to rub on the white paint

for chalk like appearance.




You can spray seal again,

but I just left mine.

I sprayed the handles with 

black hammered finish.




Pin It!




Then I added some black and white photos

and put the glass top on.

Easy to change out.












If you don't have a glass top,

you could decoupage them onto table,

or have glass cut.

Just another way to think about function

for the furniture in your home.

Thanks for stopping by!

Deb

A big Thank you to Jessica Blex Photography

for our fun family pictures!!





Sharing at:







20 comments:

Number Fifty-Three said...

This is such an awesome idea! I love chalkboards and the pictures are such a great touch!

Angela @ Number Fifty-Three

Julie @ followyourheartwoodworking said...

What a great idea for a glass topped table!

20 North Ora said...

Deb - what a darling idea!

Judy

Brittany Fry @ The 26th of August said...

This is an awesome idea!!! Now aim going to have to go back to goodwill because I was there Friday and they had two glass top end tables for $10 each!!!

Jen xo said...

oh clever :) I have a small featrure wall that divides my kitchen living area and was thinking of chalkboard paint but not very practical for the kitchen side......this would work beautifully....thank you x

Bliss said...

Two things from this post... never would have known that wasn't chalkboard paint, and we have a glass covered chalkboard table that I never thought of making look like matted photos.

Krista Aasen said...

This looks amazing Deb! And so creative! My boys would love something like this... they love checking out pictures of themselves:) Thanks for the tutorial!

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Deb, what a darling idea! I love all things chalkboard!

Crystelle Boutique said...

I totally love this! What a great idea on how to re-do furniture with a glass top! How in the world did you think it up?
You are one talented lady! And it turned out adorable too!!! Oh my.....

Pinning!!

hugs x, Crystelle
Crystelle Boutique

Dee said...

Soooo cute!! You are so amazingly talented Deb. I just love the things you come up with. Thanks for sharing, Dee from My Painted Stuff

Joan said...

What clever and super cute idea!

Annie said...

What a great idea!! Very creative!!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful transformation!

Kelly said...

That's really a cute idea. I like how you outlined the areas where the photos should go. The glass makes it practical.

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

OH my this is adorable!!!
XO
Kristin

EveryDay Bloom said...

A wonderfully functional...and pretty...way to combine furniture and display! I love what you've done here. Beautiful...especially the personal touches (the photos, the hand-drawn chalk art).

Feral Turtle said...

This is too cool!! Great project Deb!!

Lulu said...

Who knew there were so many uses for chalkboard which I am seeing everywhere these days. Your table is terrific.

Kathy said...

This is marvelous! I am honored that you shared at Home and Garden Thursday!
Kathy

Maria said...

I love this~!