Sunday, April 19, 2015

Painting Cow Art

Sometimes

I have a paint whim.




Maybe it's because I love farmhouse style.

Pin It!



Maybe because it's a popular trend.




But I thought you, my painting friends,

might have the same 

"wanna give it a try".

This paint style is not too intimidating.

The texture of the board will do a lot of the work.

So start with rough fence board.

Make sure they are not super smooth 

or you might not get the texture you want.

So these cedar fence boards are about 5.5" wide.

Cut 4 - 20" long pieces.

Connect together on back with utility panel and 3/4" screws.




Measurement will be about 22" x 20"

Put a base brown wash on entire front.

Paint with off white 

lifting brush at edges .


If you have a picture of a cow,

you can change it to a 

"Paint by Number" look in Photoshop.

Select the Artistic "Cut out" filter.




It will look something like this:



You are welcome to use this sketch:




Pencil Transfer this shape to your board.

Using 2" x 4" rectangles of cardstock folded in half,

drag paint across board leaving open spaces.

This is why it is good to have a rough surface.

It will provide a lot of texture.




You can see in these next few pictures

how I started with the light gray,

then added dark gray,

then bits of brown,

and finally aqua.










Pin It!






Use Black for eyes and nostrils.




Using a small chip brush,

dry brush hair strands on top of head and in ears.

Brush from center outward.

Off load white paint onto paper towel

making sure your brush is light and airy.




It's easy to fix mistakes.

I just use a baby wipe and remove paint.




Use a fine liner for eyelashes.





Shade edges of board with dark brown.




Would be fun to try in different colors!




Pin It!


Are you going to express your farmhouse style!

Hope you try it.

Thanks for your visit,

Deb


Links:








13 comments:

Feral Turtle said...

An amazing work of art Deb!! Love your painting technique!

Anonymous said...

This is awesome. I love this. I am going to do this as soon as I move and get settled. Thank you so much for the instructions. Blessings, Nancy Carr nancythedove@aol.com

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Oh I love it!!! You did an amazing job...would love to have you show it off at my Show and Share party.

Blessings,
Linda

Bliss said...

Your steps make me believe I could create this, so I pinned it to give it a try.

thecuratorscollection.com said...

Love the splash of color you added! Farmhouse charming it is!Hope you have a great day!
Smiles!
Terry

Diane Lynn said...

Fabulous tutorial Deb! He's adorable!

Fairhope Supply Co. said...

I never wanted to paint a cow until now. I'll dream about it all night.
So adorable!

Marigene said...

That is awesome!

Lynn @The Vintage Nest said...

now this is sooooo cool! Makes me think I could maybe actually do it. :)

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

I just love your farmhouse style cow! I would never attempt this myself....I would just admire yours and maybe buy one! Visting from Vintage Inspiration

Linda@MixedKreations said...

Oh I love this! Amazing work! I am a cow and pig collector. You make it look easy. I will have to try and make me one. Thank you for sharing! Found you via Weekend retreat party. Pinning!

Deb Hrabik said...

Thanks so much girls! Love hearing from you all. I would love to see any pictures of yours if you try it : )
Deb

Twice Nice said...

Deb I am so in awe of your mad talents! I do want to try this. You make me want to try all these wonderful projects! Thanks so much for sharing your talents!