Thursday, June 28, 2012

Zebra Dresser

Hey friends,
today I'm thinking about
our style personalities.
I don't often stop to think about my style.
I usually just get a visual
of something that I would love to have around me
in my home and go for it.

Have you ever been to Sproost.com?
It's fun.
It is a Decorating style personality quiz.
My style is
67 percent Rustic Revival
33 percent Nantucket

Yep, that sounds like me.

My 9 year old grandaughter took the quiz
and she was about
100 percent Hollywood Glam.

Yep, that sounds like her.

That brings me to todays project:
Taylor's Zebra Dresser:


Although for a true Hollywood Glam look
I would have used black and white
with some sparkle bling handles.
This is more of a compromise with the Gray.
(She'll probably have me change it after this post. ha!)

The stripe pattern I chose
is a mix of soft tan and black
with a white dry brush over top.


I found a magazine picture
of a zebra pattern I liked
and could use as a visual
while I painted freehand.

Using a 1" flat brush,
I dipped the brush in clear glaze
then one side in tan
and the other side in black.
Drag the brush on it's side.



Then I dry brushed white
over the top






Probably the change I like most
about this dresser
is the drawer pulls.

Originally,
the dresser had several tiny little
round gold knobs.
Rather than leaving
this odd arrangement,
I filled all of the holes
and drilled new ones
for
four simple handles.



I cheated on this "Before" picture
and photoshopped in the knobs
because I had already removed them
when I took the photo.
But I wanted you to
see the transformation
so that
you can always think without limit
about what you can change
besides paint
to create a better final product.



Phew...much better.
Four simple centered drawer pulls
make a nice balance.







So, are you, my stylin' friends,
Nantucket or Hollywood Glam
or any other of the many
decorating personalities?

Always appreciate your visit,
Deb





Linking To:      Thursday:    Beyond the Picket Fence
                                           The Shabby Creek Cottage
                                           House of Hepworths
                                           The 36th Avenue



                        Friday:          Miss Mustard Seed
                                             Redoux Interiors
                                             At the Picket Fence

                        Monday:      Sumos Sweet Stuff
                                            I Should be Mopping the Floor
                                            Craftomaniac

                      Tuesday:        Home Stories A to Z
                                             My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
                                             Primitive and Proper
                     Wednesday:   Savvy Southern Style


7 comments:

suzyq said...

Love your transformation - looks like a fun project and beyond my skills!
Your newest follower - would love to have you visit and follow back
Hugs,

Deb Hrabik said...

Happy to.
Thanks for stopping by, Deb

Wax Beach Artist said...

Excellent work! Your painting technique goes back to the master painters, oil paintings mostly. I learned it in art school. Nice to see you using it on furniture! It came out fantastic!

Deb Hrabik said...

Gosh, that makes me curious to learn more about art history. I wish I would have studied that more. I was more into textile design. Oh well, never too late to learn.
Thanks so much! Deb

Theresa McCabe said...

Great job! I love it.

Rhonda said...

This turned out fantastic! This is what I want to do for my daughter's room transformation as well...

Deb Hrabik said...

Hi Rhonda.
Thanks for stopping by.
My son's girlfriend likes this style too!