Thursday, May 3, 2012

A Feast is made for Laughter - Buffet

Hi Friends!
I've been busy painting lots of furniture
and am ready to share
my newest DIY.

Here's a sneak peek:



The finishing touches
are just the most fun...
especially because it is a long journey
getting there.

But the adventure
has to start somewhere.




Yikes!
yikes. 1.  a term used to express mild fear or surprise.

(deep breath)

Potential!
potential.  1.  having or showing the capacity
to develop into something in the future.

Now that's exciting.
I love pieces like this that have such a nice painter's surface.
I know what she can become.

Let's get started:

First the peeling veneer has to be glued down
(I used liquid nails)
and then fill in with wood filler if there are uneven spots.
Remove hardware.
I used my pad sander on the entire piece
since it was rough.
I even sanded the insides of the drawers
and shelves.


I want to make her beautiful
inside and out.
When she finds a home
I want her to be completely looking good
and smelling good inside.
I always start by looking underneath
and inside.
(painting the back too)

So the drawers got a good sanding,
a spray of primer, and a spray of gloss sealer.
NOW I would want to put my silverware in there!



Ahh...much better.

Okay, now that the guts are good to go,
move on to primer.
Zinsser Oil Based here
because I had to have the stain blocker
on top.



Besides the semi-gloss white base,
I mixed several colors
to get the shades of grey and charcoal that I wanted.




I used clear glaze, black, white, and raw sienna
to get a mottled look
of multiple colors on the top.
I sealed the top with a polyacrylic.

For the grey on the front,
I added more white and a camel color
and did some dry brush.
Dip the brush in a lighter grey,
Off load on a paper towel,
and drag in a linear motion.


I taped off the section for my lettering
and used a small flat brush
to paint that in.
Then use a liner brush for any
smaller detail.

I sanded the edges of all of the white
for a worn and warm effect.
Then brush on glaze and black paint
and wipe off leaving just enough
behind for a primitive edge.


You can see more about the black glaze
on white in my post on Pewter and White Dresser

I painted the handles black
and sprayed them with a gloss sealer.
Finally - the finishing touches!

Now she's ready for a home.





"A feast is made for Laughter."
Ecclesiastes 10:19







This buffet will find a sweet retail spot
at Nest Feathers Design
in Syracuse, Nebraska.

Thanks for visiting my blog!
I'll have more DIY's coming soon, Deb



Linking to Miss Mustard Seed
                Redoux Interiors
                The Shabby Nest
                The Rooster and the Hen
                Thrifty Decor Chick
                Primitive and Proper
                Coastal Charm
                Savvy Southern Style
                The Shabby Creek Cottage
                Embracing Change

12 comments:

Danielle @ Antique Recreation said...

That looks incredible! I love the colors and the scripture. Perfect for a buffet!

Unknown said...

Super! Love it!!

The Checkered Apple said...

I'm so amazed by your talent! This was a great transformation too!

Cassie Bustamante said...

that is so cool! i love the shape and the color combo!

Unknown said...

GREAT REDO! love the saying and it looks perfect on the buffet!

Deb Hrabik said...

Thank you girls for your encouraging comments! That's good motivation for the next project. Appreciate it, Deb

McKae @ Kaes Corner Design said...

It looks great! What a transformation!

Stacey said...

That looks great - it is just cool - love it!
I would also love if you came by to link up to my party which is happening now! I would love to have you there!
Stacey of Embracing Change
http://staceyembracingchange.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I would love something like this in my dining room!

Deb Hrabik said...

Me too! Somehow most of the pieces I paint are on their way to other homes.
Thanks for visiting my blog!
Deb

Rita Rodrigues said...

I LOVE this Blog! Thank you for the excelent ideas!
From Portugal: Rita Rodrigues

Deb Hrabik said...

Thank you, Rita!
So happy to have you visit from so far away,
Deb